Monday, September 13, 2010

I stopped for a moment and thought.


It's kind of funny. And I certainly never thought I'd be writing this, but I think "Mother Knows Best" finally.. hit me?

Alright, when I was a kid I constantly lived to do the opposite of what my mother want it. She wanted me to wear make up, so I refused. She wanted me to always get my hair done, so I didn't (tho I did wash it). She wanted me to not go out with my hair wet, so I always did. Tuck in my shirt, so I didn't. Get boyfriends, didn't. Learn to cook, didn't. Go to college in NYC, didn't. Stay at home, didn't. The list is really quite long, if not unending.

I basically was of the believe that mother's whole existence was to either annoy me or some how make my life complicated. She could never truly have my best interest in mind, "I KNEW BEST," not her.

Well.. so I'm older now (not that much older!!! ok, maybe a little, oh man, I remember my mom being this age!! but anyway…), and I guess I'm becoming a bit wiser. The older I get, the more I listen to my mother.

I realized today that when it comes to making decisions, like what job to take, and stuff that I'm totally at a lost about, just can't decide, well I seem to turn to my mom. She generally gives me safe advice. She tells me to think of the future. To not be impulsive. To realize that things can be worse later and so I should prepare for that. This is all very safe and sound advice, the kind I would never give myself. Now, the older I get, the more I want to hear that kind of advice. I guess I'm just not as carefree and risky as I use to be. Maybe I'm just getting old? Naaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. I'm just growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment