Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I was tired, like a wookie


I thought, while riding the train, "man I'm tired, like a wookie." Nope, I've no idea just how tired wookies get, but I can imagine is something like this.

I'd be less tired if I had enough time to sleep. Unfortunately I'm currently a temporary, hourly employee. This means I have to get as many hours as I can in order to pay my disgustingly huge student debt.

Thank God there's no debters' prison!!  You know, that's where your creditors use to send you when you couldn't pay your bills.

I'm almost certain at this point that I'm going to die a debter.  At first, this realization made me quite upset. I mean, the shame!  But after some time my mind has shifted to a more relaxed outlook. I mostly laugh at the thought of being in my death bed and raising a big ol' middle finger to our educational system for forcing people like me to go into extreme debt in order to get a mediocre education, so I can spend over 40 years working to try to achieve the so called American dream that the media sells us.

Though I have to say that I'm more and more confused about the "American Dream." I suppose that's because my life's quite far from any kind of dream, much less some idealized "American Dream." I mean, what exactly is the American Dream now days?  And how do you get it?

I use to think you got it through education and hard work. However, education has left me with a debt so big I can't expect to pay it for like 30 years. And though I work hard and long hours, I don't seem to kiss enough ass to get ahead in my temporary job, which I got after the economy went bust and spewed me and millions of others out of our permanent good jobs.

I'm thinking the American Dream now's just a dream some people made up before they invented the Internet to keep us entertained. Are you entertained? I am, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment